Sunday, May 25, 2014

Married to Your Make-Up?? Me too...

Considering I am a girl, and kind of a girly one at that I definitely use, research cosmetics often, and depending on what I see and what I like I either stick with a product or me switch as often as necessary.

I am not a professional make-up artist and I have never claimed to be great at doing it, but I think I do a pretty damn good job at not looking like a hooker, not taking a long time and emphasizing areas that are better than others. After all, realizing your best attributes and taking advantage of them is how we gain confidence. Focusing on the negatives will not change them; it is all a matter of turning the attention to the positives.

On that note, I really decided to go for it with the cosmetic writing today because I’ve recently become a fan of the newest and fastest growing cosmetic company, Younique. I’m sure if you are always searching for the newest, best mascara on the market, or how to make your lashes fuller, longer and more dramatic without the use of falsies; you have most likely come across this gem.

Younique’s 3D Fiber lashes are water resistant, and help create the appearance of incredible thickness and volume to your already existing lashes. In a three step process that combines transplanting gel and natural fibers, you may take a few tries to get it exactly right, but paired with your favorite mascara and done right, the results are amazing.

With that said, it’s likely not the only thing out there that can create this magic, but the benefits are what are in the ingredients… They are all natural, yep, what we all need and look for these days. (Me not so much) however it is a great quality to take into consideration with anything you use on your skin, or ingest. The website itself has a pretty grand explanation of each ingredient and what it does for all the products, but I will just give you the rundown on the fiber lashes: Collagen, H2o, Beeswax, Carnauba, Iron Oxide CI, Acrylates Copolymer, Nylon, Stearic Acid, and Propylene Glycol.

 
Now I know this all sounds pretty scary and not at all natural, but like I said, they give a break-down and explanation of all their products and not to mention the “Love it Guarantee” on the 3D Fiber lashes! So why order mascara online and wait?? Why not just head to ULTA and invest in another name brand that you are already familiar with? Again… for the reasons I listed in paragraphs above, ALL NATURAL INGREDIENTS, LOVE IT GUARANTEE.

The only thing I can’t help you with here is how long it lasts for the cost of $29… I am not the girl that does her make-up daily and when I do I don’t always have time for the extra step, and my one downfall I’ve found is that the fibers get into my contacts if they are already in place, and I tend to eff up my make-up if I try and put the contacts in after…. So if any of you pros out there have suggestions how to get better at that let me know! Otherwise I will just continue to struggle!

That’s not the only thing that I’ve tried from Younique, I also invested in the BB Cream ($39) and as soon as I ordered and received it, it seemed as if I was seeing BB Cream all over the place (tv ads,Target, MAC!) It’s the first time I’ve even heard of this shit, I didn’t realize make-up was getting so complicated these days. Anyway, BB Cream is a flawless complexion enhancer that while suggested to use along with your foundation as a base, I have only ever used it along with concealer and feel it does a great job evening my skin tone and making me feel fresh and ready (for a more set feeling I always brush over with powder).

With all of this said, and while I do love my product, I am also extremely tempted to purchase a few other brands to compare the texture, shades, and application. While I’ve yet to run out and make these purchases I plan to invest in one of my favorite drug store brands, Revlon, as well as Maybelline. Then I will venture into the department stores for the one brand I was introduced to and just can’t get away from, MAC. (We can’t deny the quality)


Revlon appears to offer a BB Cream ‘Photo Ready’ formula for $10 while Maybelline has their ‘Dream Fresh’ available for $8. Since I started dabbling in altering my appearance in middle school I’ve been a fan of Revlon’s Color stay Foundation ($13) It’s easy to apply, not too heavy and blends well, but you can’t over-do anything or it looks bad.

Obviously when it comes to make-up we all have our favorites and I’m discovering new ones, but the ones that never get old with me and likely always find a spot in my make-up bag is: Maybelline’s Great Lash ($6), L’Oreal’s Voluminous Mascara ($8), Maybelline’s Falsies volume express, Revlon’s Color stay foundation, MAC Fix Powder ($27), MAC Prep-prime eye , MAC Select cover-up ($18), and MAC eye shadow ($15-$20).

Am I crazy for having such a long list of faves??? I think there most likely people with greater obsessions. Here’s the deal though. I wasn’t always a make-up snob, I refused to even approach a department store
counter out of fear of the prices… it wasn’t until I got married and they used everything MAC on my face and the make-up never stayed better and I never went back… The one thing that never played a role in my make-up routine was the false lashes and this, again, is how I benefit from Younique’s 3D fiber lashes.

I could likely find products comparable at Target or Walgreens and I plan to do this for future comparison, but the reality is that I enjoy being confident and if that means investing in products that cost me more, but last me longer and make me happier I am going to do it. You’re not going to convince this girl that all the models and actresses in the Cover Girl commercials are really wearing nothing but Cover Girl and that shit lasts hours. Now, show me Halle Barry coming off of a 14hr flight wearing Revlon Color stay and I believe you. It’s been a long time since I’ve tried Cover Girl’s formula, but I recall it as thin, almost greasy and doesn’t do anything for a girl that needs some serious complexion help (similar to Neutrogena’s formula) It is what it is, cheap… (In my opinion) If you’re in middle/high school it’s great because you lose your shit all the time and you don’t need nice stuff.

Back to my faves… MAC eye shadow trumps any eye shadow I have ever tried, which is almost ALL of them, including department store. It applies evenly, you’re only adding more because you want to, not because you have to vs. color falling onto your face and causing you to touch up, re-apply, and then probably find creases in your eyelids a few hours later. I often forget to pull out the MAC prep-prime, but I kick myself when I do because it is AMAZING as far as protecting your shadow and creating an all- day look.

Mascara I believe is to each their own and because the 3D Fiber lashes require a base of your own mascara as it is, you may as well invest in one you love. Like I said before, L’Oreal and Maybelline are my ultimate go to and they seem to last without rubbing off. I don’t think anyone would try the Younique and be disappointed, even if it is in-frequent use like me.

It wasn’t my plan to give a shout out at the end of all this, but I must say the newest products and brands that I’ve found in any drug store is, ELF and Sonia Kashuk.
If you are looking for super affordable and seemingly great quality, I have invested in a handful of these products as well! Anything can sell for me $1 - $3 (ELF) and when it lasts through the day (eyebrow kit, exfoliating lip care, eyeliner) you know you’ve found a winner. As for Sonia Kashuk, I can’t say enough good, but I have only invested in their brushes and by far comparable to any other brand of make-up brush I’ve tried. I will continue to buy them because they are affordable and they do their job and does it well. I even bought some of her lotions and sprays and then gifted more to a friend they were so good!

I am sure that things will change and I will try more, when I do I’ll be back to update, but just don’t trust a product because it’s what someone says works for them, remember we all look and appear differently and have to enhance what we have not change who we are! XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment